milk and honey - rupi kaur

Sometimes the creator is as interesting to me as the creation. So it is with Rupi Kaur’s Milk and Honey. This collection was originally self-published in 2014 by a then 22 year old Rupi Kaur, a Canadian poet, writer, illustrator and performer of Punjabi descent. At 22, I was lucky to find my way home on the bus by myself…Rupi Kaur was writing and self-publishing a collection of poems that bare her soul. Wow!

I’m finding it difficult to express how I feel when I read her poetry because it’s much more than just the words on the page - it’s the whole experience. She writes entirely in lower case and uses no punctuation other than a period. I read online that it’s a shout out to her Punjabi heritage. Here’s an explanation from her website FAQ:

“although i can read and understand my mother tongue (punjabi) i do not have the skillset to write poetry in it. to write punjabi means to use gurmukhi script. and within this script there are no uppercase or lowercase letters. all letters are treated the same. i enjoy how simple that is. how symmetrical and how absolutely straightforward. i also feel there is a level of equality this visuality brings to the work. a visual representation of what i want to see more of within the world: equableness.”

The lowercase writing, the illustrations that are woven throughout the poems and prose in the book, combine to make the experience feel intimate and meaningful. Even the book itself - a flat, black matt cover that is soft to the touch with simple hand-drawn bees the only adornment aside from the title and author - add to the experience.

The summary on the back perfectly describes the book:

this is the journey of
surviving through poetry
this is the blood sweat tears
of twenty-one years
this is my heart
in your hands
this is
the hurting
the loving
the breaking
the healing

I don’t read a lot of poetry collections. I read individual poems but rarely read a collection of poetry from cover to cover by the same author. As the description outlines, Milk and Honey is divided up into four sections: the hurting, the loving, the breaking and the healing. I liked “the loving” the best and if I’m honest with myself, I think it’s because it was uplifting and easier to read than the other sections.

it won’t
be love at
first sight when
we meet it’ll be love
at first remembrance cause
i’ve seen you in my mother’s eyes
when she tells me to marry the type
of man i’d want to raise my son to be like

The hardest reading for me was “the hurting” but it is the one that sticks with me the most. Throughout the collection, Kaur explores violence, rape, love, healing and femininity.

if i knew what
safety looked like
i would have spent
less time falling into
arms that were not

Rupi Kaur began sharing her writing on Tumblr and Instagram and is sometimes criticized by readers who feel that her poems aren’t original or sound a lot like other “instapoets” on the internets. I can only express my opinion and while some of the poems didn’t move me one way or the other, they were in the minority and it certainly wasn’t because I found them unoriginal. Most made me flinch, smile, nod vigorously, look away (and then look back) and in a few cases, laugh.

If, like me, poetry is not your first pick in reading, I encourage you to pick up this collection. It’s accessible, honest and authentic.